Saturday, July 7, 2012
Gluten Free: Apple and Egg Breakfast Pie
In order to make this recipe gluten free I replaced 1/2 cup of flour with 1/4 cup oatmeal and 1/4 cup white rice flour. The finished "pie" has a very mild flavor and texture; it's not overly rich/heavy like a quiche and it's not bready or super sweet like a pancake (as it has no sugar added except what you chose to dust on top; although I suppose you could add sugar to the batter if you wanted to sweeten it up). You could also leave out the oatmeal and replace the wheat flour with rice flour 1:1.
(Gluten Free) Apple and Egg Breakfast Pie
1/4 tbl butter
1 medium apple (core removed, cut into thin slices)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup Gluten Free oatmeal (uncooked)
1/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 tea nutmeg (optional)
1/2 tea cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tea salt (optional)
1/4 cup powdered sugar (for dusting)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Grease a cast iron skillet with the 1/4 tablespoon of butter, make sure to butter the sides. Arrange the apple slices on the bottom of the skillet (in desired pattern). Set aside.
3. Combine eggs, milk, oatmeal, rice flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until batter is well blended (I just use a whisk and hand mix).
4. Place skillet on stove (medium/high heat) for 2 minutes until the bottom of the skillet is just hot.
5. Pour batter over apples and place in the oven; cook for 20-22 minutes.
6. Remove pie, cut, dust with powdered sugar (if desired) and eat!